Tel: 022 752 2044
or 087 820 5999
Abalone House & Spa Paternoster
The luxurious five-star Abalone House Boutique Guesthouse effortlessly blends old world elegance with eclectic decadence in the quaint seaside village of Paternoster on the Cape West Coast.
Situated 160km north of Cape Town, Paternoster has its own distinctive beauty, with its unspoilt shimmering white beaches, rocky outcrops, turquoise waters of the Atlantic and indigenous fynbos. Whitewashed fishermen’s houses, blue shutters, colourful fishing boats scattered on the beach and boat masts tinkling in the breeze create an idyllic setting for this unique Boutique Guesthouse. A 90-minute drive from Cape Town, Abalone House offers city-weary dwellers and discerning travellers an unashamedly opulent beachside escape, where extravagance and guest comforts take precedence. Set amid indigenous gardens, an air of quirky decadence pervades this sophisticated haven with its ten luxurious suites.
Lavishly designed with luxurious bohemian decor by Cape Town interior designer David Strauss, Abalone House delights with its grandeur, eclectic visual tapestry and divine cuisine.
Flamboyant layers of lived-in luxury include lovingly restored antiques, treasured memorabilia and objets d’art from the owners’ personal collection that share the welcoming spaces beside crystal chandeliers, wooden ceilings, modern furnishings and old silverware.
Inspired by the vibrant works of Artist Vladimir Tretchikoff, every area of this West Coast Boutique Guesthouse reflects an elegant opulence, with French-style doors and richly hued Persian rugs adorning stone floors. The signature Tretchikoff wall prints make a playfully eccentric style statement amid a flurry of jewel coloured fabrics, furnishings and African ornaments. Abalone House is also the perfect place for small conferences and intimate weddings.
The outside areas of Abalone House have their own seaside appeal reminiscent of the Greek isles, with wooden walkways and decking, comfortable wicker furniture, umbrellas and potted plants. There’s even a Jacuzzi on the rooftop deck. With its unhindered views of the beaches of Paternoster, it’s the perfect spot to enjoy sundowners or a midnight dip. A charming garden courtyard – complete with antique birdcages, wind chimes and pond – surround the swimming pool. If it’s a sunny afternoon, the place to be is on the brand new deck: bask in the sun while drinking in the fresh sea air and glorious sea views. The fishing village and more than seven kilometres of pristine white beaches are just a stroll away.
If you yearn for seaside serenity and a luxuriously comfortable place to escape to, Abalone House Boutique Guesthouse is just 90 minutes drive from Cape Town.
Whether you are looking for a quirky hideaway, an intimate conference venue or an elegant place to host a small wedding celebration, you’ll go far to beat the five-star charm of Abalone House & Spa. Situated in the picturesque coastal village of Paternoster on the Cape West Coast, Abalone House makes guests feel pampered and totally at home.
Luxury accommodation in ten suites that caters for every indulgence, decadent decor and four areas to relax, socialise over drinks or savour delightful culinary feasts – what more could you ask for. Abalone House’s inviting public areas are filled with beautiful antiques, vibrant colours and quirky decorative finishes.
Healing Earth Spa
Abalone House’s Healing Earth Spa offers unique signature treatments available exclusively to guests with a menu that is a first for Africa. Read more about the Healing Earth Spa under the SPA tab.
What makes Abalone House special?
- Accommodation in one of ten sumptuous suites, some with sea views or private relaxing spaces.
- Socialise and swop tall stories around the oversized fireplace in the African Lounge.
- Enjoy a cocktail, glass of red or a tumbler of one of the top single malt whiskies and brandies on offer in the new bar at Reuben’s Restaurant.
- Languish over breakfast, lunch or afternoon tea in the sun-splashed Reuben’s Restaurant.
- Indulge in a decadent dinner in the Reuben’s Restaurant with its high backed velvet chairs and crystal chandeliers.
- Bask in the sun while drinking in the fresh sea air and glorious sea views from the new deck leading off Reuben’s at Abalone House.
- Cool off in the elegant plunge pool or take it easy in the sunny sheltered garden courtyard.
- Spoil yourself with a pampering treatment at the Healing Earth Spa.
- Enjoy a glass of French champagne amid Jacuzzi bubbles on the wooden roof deck overlooking the sea.
- Peruse the books and DVD’s in the well-stocked library that doubles as a small conference room.
Abalone House is also eco-friendly wherever possible. That means we use solar power to heat water, recycle all kitchen refuse and keep water to a minimum. Abalone House grows its own herbs.
Abalone House Boutique Guesthouse in the seaside village of Paternoster on the Cape West Coast boasts ten luxury ground and first-floor suites built around a tranquil sheltered garden courtyard.
All the ground floor suites have direct access to the elegant pool set in the courtyard. In line with international trends for small boutique guesthouses, visitors to Abalone House are able to choose from three different types of suites, all comfortable and superbly appointed. At Abalone House, we have taken pampering to a new intensity by embellishing our suites with every conceivable convenience to ensure your comfort and enjoyment. Experience our unsurpassed attention to detail in the many thoughtful touches, from extra-length beds and deluxe pillows, to fluffy mohair blankets and under floor heating.
Guests may select from the following types of accommodation:
- Standard Superior: These five rooms are situated on both the ground and first floor. They do not have sea views.
- Luxury Superior: Situated on both the ground and first floor, these four suites have private balconies or garden patios. Some have limited sea views.
- Superior Sea View Suite: This magnificent suite is situated on the first floor and has its own private patio with spectacular full views of the sea.
Other in-room features that enhance all the air-conditioned suites include:
- Extra length King sized or twin beds with white cotton linen.
- En-suite bathrooms with bath, shower, under tile heating and heated towel rails.
- A fully stocked bar fridge and top of the range Italian coffee machine.
- Flat screen TV, iPod docking station, CD and DVD player make lazing in the privacy of your suite a pleasure.
- Built-in electronic safes.
In addition to the comfortable communal spaces, guests to Abalone House can enjoy the peaceful outdoor courtyard and the roof deck with Jacuzzi offering magnificent ocean views.
Located at 3 Kriedoring Street, Paternoster, 7381
From Cape Town: Travel north on the R27, turn left at the Vredenburg turn-off and travel through Vredenburg to Paternoster. The entire trip is ± 140km.
From Cape Town International Airport: Travel towards Cape Town on the N2, take the N7 – Malmesbury/ Goodwood turnoff (Vanguard Drive) and turn right towards Malmesbury. Travel north on the N7 and turn left at the Melkbosstrand turn-off. Continue to the R27. Turn right onto the R27 and travel north, past Yzerfontein and Langebaan until you get to the Vredenburg turn-off. Turn left at the Vredenburg turn-off and travel through Vredenburg to Paternoster. The entire trip is ± 155km.
View Larger Map
Activities to do while staying at the Abalone House.
- Browse in Paternoster’s quaint bric a brac shops.
- Experience creativity unfolding with a visit to Paternoster’s art galleries and pottery studio.
- Stroll along eight kilometres of pristine white beach.
- Don’t miss out on a taste of local culture by sampling some of Paternoster’s local specialties such as pickled mussels, sun dried snoek biltong or salty ‘bokkoms’ (dried harder).
- Wait with the seagulls on the sun-bleached boulders for the fishermen’s boats to return with their daily catch to the village harbour.
- Hike or take a 4×4 route in the nearby pristine natural wilderness of the 263-hectare Cape Columbine Nature Reserve at Tietiesbaai. The reserve, about 5km from Paternoster, has many charming rocky coves along the coastline.
- Take a sea kayak on an ocean adventure to view the marine life dolphins, seals and whales that enter the bay in season.
- A must-have experience is the magnificent wild flower displays every spring (between August and September/October).
- If you’re a birding enthusiast, seize the opportunity to view over 200 species in the area, including African penguins, egrets, Cape Cormorants, Arctic terns and endangered black oystercatchers.
- Go kite surfing, snorkeling or scuba diving.
- Horse riding as well as mountain- and quad biking activities are also available.
Remember to check beforehand as all outdoor activities on the West Coast are always weather dependent.
- Go on a tour of the neighbouring vineyards on the West Coast Wine Route. Buy a few bottles of select wine to enjoy back at your cottage.
- Request a picnic basket and experience Tietiesbaai a few kilometers outside Paternoster (part of the Columbine Nature reserve). This is also a great place to collect handfuls of shells as a reminder of your trip.
- Visit South Africa’s last remaining manned lighthouse in the Cape Columbine Nature Reserve. Built in 1936, the light from this marine beacon shines 32 nautical miles (60km) out to sea.
- Explore the scenic country villages of the Swartland area, known for its undulating wheat fields and farmlands.
- Walk among the beautiful indigenous coastal fynbos in the West Coast National Park Walk in Langebaan (about 45km away).
Renowned five-star boutique guesthouse, Abalone House has crossed the threshold into the international hospitality arena.
A coveted and highly-acclaimed Reuben’s restaurant opened in October 2013, elevating Abalone House to new heights of luxury, decadence and service. The finest local cuisine is now showcased in an atmosphere of pure relaxation and sensual enjoyment.
Reuben Riffel is a celebrated household name in South Africa and is renowned for his culinary prowess. He chooses the best local ingredients, treats them respectfully and prepares them beautifully to create unique taste sensations. Double-baked snoek soufflé with salted apricots, roasted pork belly with chilli-lime and ginger caramel, malva pudding with buttermilk sherbet and Amarula custard hint at the unique cuisine that awaits diners at Reuben’s Abalone House.
“I have always loved Paternoster, since I first visited as a child of 14,” says Reuben. “The place still fascinates me and keeps drawing me back. There’s a unique atmosphere there that is relaxed and special, so I am delighted to have the opportunity to open a Reuben’s restaurant and explore the local ingredients, cook them simply and serve flavoursome food. The menu will be ever changing, though we will certainly keep the signature dishes.”
Tasked with opening Reuben’s at Abalone House, chef Aviv Liebenberg has worked at all three of Reuben’s other restaurants – located in Franschhoek, Robertson and at the five-star resort One&Only Cape Town. He says: “I understand Reuben’s concept well, so I am able to implement it easily in the restaurant. His food has a fresh country feel and is plated beautifully. There’s nothing fussy about Reuben’s cuisine. We prefer to use just a few ingredients simply and well.”
What we offer:
- Breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea are served in Reuben’s Restaurant.
- The vibey Bar is ideal for socialising over cocktails, wine, French champagne or one of the single malt whiskies and brandies on offer.
- The elegant Reuben’s Restaurant is open for lunch and dinner to both Abalone House residents and members of the public, but because it is such a popular venue, make a reservation beforehand to enjoy this sumptuous cuisine!
- If it’s a sunny afternoon, the place to be is on the brand new deck: bask in the late afternoon sun while drinking in the fresh sea air and glorious sea views.
If privacy tops your menu, you can always opt to enjoy a light lunch and cocktails if your suite at Abalone House has its own private balcony or patio.
Elegant simplicity is also found in the Healing Earth Spa at Abalone House, which offers African inspired therapies and products in four calm treatment rooms – one customized for couples. This premium organic spa brand believes in ancient African traditions of healing and energy to bring about both health and relaxation. Founder Elisabeth Brandt says: “We have a nurturing, conscious approach to beauty based upon love for oneself, one’s fellow human beings and the earth we live on.”
Abalone House’s Healing Earth Spa offers unique signature treatments available exclusively to guests with a menu that is a first for Africa.
The unique Healing Earth products include the Earth Soul range, which uses indigenous ingredients such as Marula and Kalahari Melon, and the Pinotage Grape range – a vinotherapy range with powerful anti-oxidant qualities that is also thoroughly South African. An enticing menu of face and body treatments is available to guests, and the beautifully soothing surroundings will ensure a deeply enjoyable experience.
Download our Spa packages menu here >>spamenuoct2013<<
Abalone House Boutique Guesthouse is the ideal setting for small conferences, executive breakaways and teambuilding workshops.
Situated 90 minutes from Cape Town – in the charming West Coast fishing village of Paternoster – the owners of this opulent five-star Guesthouse have geared the establishment to enhance every aspect of your small conference or teambuilding get- together. From superb accommodation in ten magnificent suites, to extravagant dining and quality conference facilities in a plush boardroom, Abalone House will offer your guests an indulgent, luxurious stay. The Guesthouse can host between 20-30 guests for conferences depending on venue choice. Additional self-catering accommodation for guests is available in South of Africa’s selection of cottages nearby.
Abalone House’s plush executive boardroom is a cosy venue offering seating for up to 16 delegates in opulent high back chairs, around a large antique table. Books adorn the walls and thoughtfully selected artwork adds splashes of colour to the cosy venue. Under-floor heating and air conditioning further enhance the comfort of delegates. The boardroom at Abalone House features state of the art media and audiovisual equipment for conferences and workshops, including:
- A surround-sound system
- White board, overhead projector and electric screen
- DSTV with screen
- Wireless internet connectivity
In addition, Abalone House has its own small business centre offering additional internet access for guests. The boardroom looks out onto a tranquil courtyard garden where the delegates can relax after finishing off the day’s session.
What makes Abalone House different from other conference venues is peaceful West Coast location combined with it unashamedly decadent Bohemian decor. Here, modern furnishings blend easily with thick Persian rugs and antiques and warm hues enhance stone floors. Old silverware and treasured objets d’art find their niche alongside vibrant artwork; feather fringed lamps and crystal chandeliers. Wooden ceilings and oversized fireplaces dominate central areas and dance with warmth in winter.
There is even a rooftop Jacuzzi with a spectacular sea view to unwind after the day’s activities, while many of the suites have their own private relaxing spaces. Guests can also cool off in the courtyard pool before enjoying a cocktail in the vibey Bar.
Abalone House is able to offer special menus for conference delegates, including adding afternoon tea and gourmet dinners to our basic conference packages. In addition, our staff will happily assist in devising a tailor-made conference or workshop package to include special activities such as scuba diving, kayaking, pottery, cooking lessons and other excursions in the area.
E-mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how we can make your next small conference or executive workshop be remembered long after the event itself!
If you have always dreamed of an intimate beach wedding where you and your guests are treated to a memorable five star experience, the Abalone House Boutique Guesthouse offers this and much more in a charming seaside setting.
Situated within the charming fishing village of Paternoster on the Cape West Coast, the opulent Abalone House will ensure every aspect of your special day is extravagant, indulgent and unforgettable.
Here you can turn a smaller wedding from a one-day occasion into an intimate weekend celebration with family and friends! Ideal for stylish destination weddings, Abalone House can host between 20-40 guests depending on venue choice. Abalone House boasts ten magnificent luxury suites, designed around a tranquil, central courtyard. Additional self-catering accommodation for guests is available in South of Africa’s selection of cottages in Paternoster.
What sets Abalone House apart is its unashamedly decadent Bohemian designer decor. Here, modern furnishings blend easily with antiques and Persian rugs, deep jewel tones enhance stone floors and vibrant artwork while old silverware finds its place alongside crystal chandeliers, objets d’art and feather fringed lamps. Wooden ceilings and huge fireplaces dominate central areas and dance with warmth in winter.
Wedding couples have the choice of selecting three different venues to celebrate their wedding ceremony and reception at Abalone House. All these options offer outstanding opportunities to capture beautiful photographic images:
- The exquisite white beaches of Paternoster are just a few minutes’ walk from Abalone House and form the ideal background for a romantic outdoor beachside wedding next to the Atlantic Ocean.
- The Reuben’s Restaurant with its opulent furnishings, rich colours and crystal chandeliers can seat between 20-40 guests.
- The tranquil garden courtyard with potted plants and a pool offers a sheltered space for your wedding celebration.
Summer is the ideal time to plan a beach wedding, especially during the warm months of February, March and April. With its Mediterranean climate, the Cape West Coast does not often have rain in summer, as the days are dry and hot.
When booking your wedding at Abalone House, we shall pamper and spoil the lucky couple from the moment they arrive! Since we want to celebrate the occasion with you, you’ll enjoy a complimentary first wedding night in our Superior Sea View suite, with your own private balcony and breathtaking sea views. *
Guest comfort always tops the list at Abalone House, but for the wedding couple, we’ll take the pampering even further with gorgeous champagne, chocolates and other homely luxuries. Abalone House even has a rooftop Jacuzzi overlooking the sea, where your wedding guests can relax, or the VIP couple can enjoy romantic cocktail sundowners for two.
The Executive Chef at Abalone House will gladly discuss mouth-watering menu options to enhance the day, while our team of professionals can assist with arranging a wedding ceremony on the beach, or advise on the myriad other arrangements.
Wedding guests will also be eligible for a discounted accommodation rate in both Abalone House and South of Africa’s self-catering cottages.
E-mail us at email@example.com to discuss how we can make your day exceptional.
Why choose Abalone House for your wedding?
- Just 90 minutes from Cape Town in the quaint West Coast fishing village of Paternoster, Abalone House is perfect for a smaller destination wedding.
- This welcoming Guesthouse has loads of ambience to enhance an intimate wedding of between 20-40 people.
- Ten superb suites with additional accommodation for guests in the nearby selection of South of Africa self-catering cottages.
- Striking backdrops, artwork and stylish interiors ensure a truly memorable wedding album.
- The opulently furnished Reuben’s Restaurant is a luxurious reception venue for 20-40 people.
- Our rooftop Jacuzzi offers another relaxing space for the romantic honeymoon couple to enjoy cocktails or French champagne.
- Exquisite chef-inspired cuisine, using the best local fresh produce to create dishes and delight your guests.
* Please note that the Complimentary Night for the Wedding Couple is subject to the entire Abalone House booked for your weddings. Terms and Conditions apply.
April Package at Abalone House
This Easter, take advantage of Abalone House’s superb new Reuben’s Restaurant and Healing Earth Spa with this unbeatable Deluxe Easter Package. Make your choice of a Weekend or Midweek overnight package inclusive of: • One night’s accommodation in a Standard Superior Suite • Complimentary Breakfast & Afternoon Tea • Easter … See more >
Winter Indulgence Package – Abalone House
Cosy up at the luxurious 5-star Abalone House & Spa in Paternoster this winter. Escape to the crackling fireplace, hearty cuisine and cosy comforts of the sublime bedrooms at Abalone House and indulge in this unique winter offering. The unforgettable 2 night package is inclusive of: Superb overnight accommodation for 2 … See more >
Tel: 022 752 2044
or 087 820 5999