Tel: 014 004 0131
or 087 820 5970
Birdsong Cottages Modimolle
Set in the scenic Waterberg Mountains lies the small Bushveld town of Modimolle (previously named Nylstroom). The Sotho name Modimolle refers to the mountain, meaning the ‘God(s) have eaten.’
The imposing Kranskop Mountain that rises above the surrounding landscape is a natural beacon on the N1 Highway that runs between Pretoria and Polokwane en route to the Kruger National Park.
This area is well known for its abundant plants and indigenous trees, prolific birdlife and free roving game. Nature and adventure enthusiasts also enjoy spending time hiking, game viewing and other outdoor activities.
The bustling town of Modimolle boasts several historic venues and monuments for those who enjoy South Africa’s rich heritage.
Here, in the heart of the Bushveld on a 64-hectare farm, are Birdsong Cottages, a series of self- catering cottages 14 kilometres outside the town on the R101.
At Birdsong, guests wanting to escape city life bustle can choose between budget, standard and luxury cottage units. Nestled in the bush, Birdsong Cottages get their name from the plentiful birdlife that flock to the Nylsvley Nature Reserve, a 30-minute drive away.
Birdsong is an easy 90-minute drive from Pretoria and 2 ½ -hour drive from Johannesburg. As soon as guests turn off the R101, they start to unwind. Driving on the eight-kilometre gravel farm road, guests pass through beautiful natural bush before reaching the peaceful cottages nestling in the hills. The farm also features a country pool, two farm dams and surrounding gardens.
Birdsong Cottages boasts a pleasing variety of accommodation to suit everyone; from comfortable budget or standard four- and eight sleeper cottages at the foot of the two farm dams; to a relaxing two-sleeper stone cottage and a cosy four-sleeper rondavel located on the hill. For couples, friends, families and small groups that enjoy peaceful natural surroundings, few can beat what Birdsong Cottages has to offer!
Most guests that come to Birdsong cottages want to engage with nature by strolling through the bush, taking refuge from the hot African sun by dipping in the farm pool or enjoying the peaceful sounds of birdsong.
For the more adventurous, this secluded nature farm offers hiking trails with splendid views. In addition, game lovers can view various types of wildlife including warthog, zebra and several antelope species.
The Edwin Cameron Boma at Birdsong Cottages is the perfect setting for outdoor family and group get-togethers. It is also ideal for romantic evenings for two in the heart of the bushveld with the fire glowing and the starry sky up above.
What makes Birdsong Cottages special?
- When you need to unwind in the restorative surroundings of unspoilt nature with family or friends, Birdsong Cottages offers a tranquil Bushveld setting on a game farm with easy access to Pretoria and Johannesburg.
- Variety of comfortable self-catering units to suit different budgets.
- Ideal getaway to laugh, relax and socialise with others while you prepare laid-back meals together, enjoy a barbeque under the stars, get up early to go bird watching or just take a leisurely stroll through the bush.
Located 14km outside of Modimolle on Farm Rietspruit, Driefontein, Section 29, Limpopo Province.
From Pretoria: Follow the N1 towards Polokwane (Pietersburg), take the Modimolle (Nylstroom) off ramp at the Kranskop Tollgate. Turn left at the T-junction and follow the road towards Modimolle (Nylstroom). Turn right into Thabo Mbeki road (The Outdoor shop will be on your right) then travel for approximately 7km until you reach the DRIEFONTEIN turn off on your left. Travel on this gravel road for approximately three kilometres until you reach the Birdsong Cottages sign. Turn left and drive for another three kilometres to reach the entrance to Birdsong Cottages.
From Polokwane: Follow the N1 south towards Pretoria; take the Modimolle (Nylstroom) off ramp (R101). Continue on this road for approximately 10km until you reach the DRIEFONTEIN turn off on your right. Travel on this gravel road for approximately three kilometres until you reach the Birdsong Cottages sign. Turn left and drive for another three kilometres to reach the entrance to Birdsong Cottages.
View Larger Map
Guests at Birdsong Cottages can choose from a diverse range of activities in Modimolle, Bela Bela (formerly Warmbaths) and the surrounding areas of the Waterberg.
In Modimolle/Bela Bela
Birdsong Cottages are situated 14 kilometres outside the lively town centre of Modimolle. The town offers various attractions including restaurants, tea gardens and shops.
- Visit historical Sites in Modimolle and Bela Bela. These include graves of Christina Pretorius (wife of Voortrekker Andries Pretorius), British Block House, Strydom House and the Concentration camp.
- Several Health and Beauty Spas in and around Modimolle and Bela Bela offer wonderfully indulgent pampering spa experiences.
- The Hydro (at Forever Resorts in Bela Bela) is famous for its therapeutic hot mineral springs, flowing out of the Earth at a rate of 22 000 litres of water per hour with a temperature of 52°C.
- Here guests can relax with specialised beauty treatments including full body massages, pedicures, manicures and hydrotherapy.
- Located next door to the Elephant Springs Hotel in Bela Bela is Hollywood Bets; South Africa’s premier betting brand, offering the public an upmarket ‘casino inspired’ environment where punters can bet in comfort and style, where they can enjoy quality food and a cold beer, and where attention to detail and top-class service is the order of the day.
Scenic and Outdoor adventures
Apart from the activities mentioned below, outdoor and adventure enthusiasts can also enjoy cable water skiing, quad biking, zip lining, clay target shooting, 4×4 trails, boating, hot air ballooning and archery.
- Walk or cycle in the Nylsvley Nature Reserve, situated in Africa’s largest inland floodplain. Open all year round during the day, this 4,000 hectare protected reserve offers a unique biodiversity of plant and animal life, including roan antelope, Tsessebe buck and approximately 370 bird species. During peak floods, the flood plain becomes a critical nesting and feeding site for over 80,000 migratory birds.
- Tee off for a game of golf at Koro Creek Golf Estate.
- Go mountain biking on 35km of farm roads at the 3,800ha Lindani game reserve, and then enjoy your own picnic in the reserve. Rated by Tread magazine as one of its top mountain bike single tracks, it is now open for day visitors. Booking is essential.
- Learn bass fishing from an expert in a nearby dam in Bela Bela.
- Enjoy the Waterberg on horseback as the first pioneers did many years ago. Savannah Horse Trails offers horse riding trails and safaris for experienced riders on trails that combine beautiful wilderness scenery and informative guiding.
- Get tactical. Skulls Paintball, situated on the R101 five kilometers from Bela Bela, offers a fun physical activity that demands teamwork and strategy planning.
- Boost your adrenaline by abseiling down a steep rocky mountainside at Mabalingwe Nature Reserve.
- Take a trail hike on a local game farm or enjoy an outdoor bush picnic.
- Take a game viewing drive at one of the local reserves and experience unspoilt Africa in an open vehicle through grasslands, rocky ravines and beautiful mountains.
- Pack a picnic and visit Doomdraai Dam Nature Reserve at the foot of the scenic Waterberg Mountains approximately 90 minutes drive away.
- Meet and interact with orphaned and injured wild animals at Sondela Wildlife Centre, open at specific times throughout the week. Pre-booking is essential.
- Experience an eco-drive, cultural tour and braai under African stars south of Bela Bela with Kwalata Culture and Wildlife Tours. They also offer various adventure teambuilding excursions.
- Take a walking tour at Bambelela Wildlife Care Farm. During these two-hour guided wildlife walks, you’ll learn more about indigenous vervet monkeys.
- Watch crocodiles feeding at the Thaba Kwena Crocodile Farm.
- Savour an unforgettable nature experience at the De Wildt Shingwedzi Cheetah & Wildlife Breeding Project. The centre offers two-hour tours where visitors get the opportunity to see and learn more about cheetah, wild dogs, caracal, serval, African wildcat and vultures.
- Have a thrilling hands-on interaction with elephants. The Adventures with Elephants educational facility is located on a beautiful 300-hectare wildlife reserve 35 kilometres from Bela Bela off the R516. The Hensman family runs the facility, having trained more than 60 elephants since 1988. Learn more about these gentle giants from their friendly experienced handlers as you greet, touch and feed them. You can also go on a Starlight elephant-back safari or even swim with these delightful creatures that enjoy interacting with humans.
- Take a walk on the wildlife side at the Dinokeng Game Reserve, which boasts abundant bird- and wildlife including zebra, giraffe, white rhino, warthog, black-backed jackal and the elusive African rock python. You can also see numerous buck species, including kudu, blue wildebeest, eland, waterbuck, impala, blesbuck, duiker, nyala and mountain reedbuck.
- View beautiful exotic birds, one of South Africa’s largest private primate collections as well as white lions, tigers and cheetahs at Mystic Monkeys and Feathers Wildlife Park near Rust de Winter.
- Visit the historical summit of Buyskop, situated approximately four kilometres north of Bela Bela. During the Republican days, the site provided fresh horses to travellers and acted as a halfway house for the mail coach that drove between Pretoria and Polokwane (formerly Pietersburg). Buyskop also contained deposits of sandstone that was used to construct some sections of the Union Buildings in Pretoria.
Tel: 014 004 0131
or 087 820 5970