Tel: 014 004 0131
or 087 820 5971
Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers, Modimolle
Set in the scenic Waterberg Mountains lies the small Bushveld town of Modimolle (previously named Nylstroom). The Sotho name Modimolle refers to the mountain, meaning the ‘God(s) have eaten.’
This tree-rich area is well known for its hiking trails, big game, outdoor adventure activities and birding. The imposing Kranskop Mountain that rises above the surrounding landscape is a natural beacon on the N1 Highway that runs between Pretoria and Polokwane en route to the Kruger National Park.
The bustling town of Modimolle boasts several historic venues and monuments for those who enjoy South Africa’s rich heritage. Here, in the heart of the Bushveld, is Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers, just four kilometres outside the town on the popular R101.
Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers offers no-frills, affordable overnight accommodation in colourful rooms within A-frame buildings. With its quirky South African ambience, this small hotel in its Bushveld setting is a convenient base for budget-conscious business travellers, families and school or church groups.
Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers not only offers trouble-free access to the N1 and Modimolle, but is also close to numerous outdoor and adventure activities in the area. Its location –12 km from the N1 highway – offers easy access to Pretoria, Polokwane and OR Tambo International Airport. While situated close to the R101 to provide convenient access, a row of tall trees lining the road dampens out traffic noise, so that guests can relax overnight to the sounds of the bush.
The R101 also passes other Limpopo establishments in South of Africa’s portfolio. Guests can therefore also choose to visit any of these Waterberg properties including Shangri-La Country Hotel (14km outside Modimolle) and Elephant Springs Hotel (in Bela Bela) for a spot of afternoon tea or an unforgettable meal day or night.
Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers is aimed primarily at providing no-frills accommodation for those looking for an affordable base or overnight stop. Most guests take the 5-minute drive into Modimolle to eat at one of several eateries in the town.
The hotel does however have an onsite Dining Room that guests may share. In addition, barbeque enthusiasts can enjoy making their favourite meal in the hotel’s outdoor barbeque area. The barbeque boma, located between the hotel buildings, is open to all guests.
In addition, barbeque enthusiasts can enjoy making their favourite meal in the hotel’s outdoor barbeque area. The barbeque boma, located between the hotel buildings, is open to all Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers guests.
Other hotel facilities include free onsite guest parking and a farm pool to cool down in summer. Guests can also enjoy bird watching, jogging or exploring the Bushveld surrounding the hotel.
What distinguishes Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers from other overnight accommodation establishments in the area is its ideal Bushveld location in the Waterberg Mountains.
Guests are able to stroll among the trees and small ‘koppies’ (hills) in the bush surrounding the hotel. Driving up a short gravel road to the hotel, grazing cattle and beautiful trees provide a rural ambience. Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers comprises three A-frame buildings that house its 12 rooms. These overlook a tranquil pond set in the Bushveld surrounding the hotel.
The hotel has 12 comfortable bedrooms situated in three A-frame buildings. Decorated in cheerful chic style with rustic screed flooring, colourful South African furnishings and decor liven up the interiors. Access to the bedrooms are from the side hallway that runs along the rooms leading from the communal unit entry.
Most of the rooms have twin beds that can be pushed together to create double beds. There are also two single rooms. Each room has its own en-suite bathroom with modern shower, washbasin and toilet. Vibrant colours are cheekily displayed in the wall paintings, scatter cushions, ottoman and throws that adorn the furniture.
Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers’ hotel rooms are all non-smoking. They feature tasteful wooden furniture, a desk as well as ample cupboard space with an open closet that fits into the rustic space of the A-frame architecture.
Additional homely touches enhance the basic features of each room to ensure a comfortable overnight stay. These include a coffee/tea maker and flat screen television with select satellite channels.
Located 4km outside of Modimolle town, on the R101 on route to Mookgophong, Limpopo Province.
From Pretoria: Follow the N1 towards Polokwane (Pietersburg), take the Modimolle (Nylstroom) off ramp at the Kranskop Tollgate. Turn left at the T-junction and follow the road towards Modimolle (Nylstroom). Turn right into Thabo Mbeki road (The Outdoor shop on your right hand side). Travel for approximately 4km until you reach Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers on your left.
From Polokwane: Follow the N1 south towards Pretoria; take the Modimolle (Nylstroom) off ramp (R101). Continue on this road for approximately 16km until you reach Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers on your right.
View Larger Map
Guests at Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers that use the hotel as a business base or overnight stay can choose from a diverse range of activities in Modimolle, Bela Bela (formerly Warmbaths) and the surrounding areas of the Waterberg.
Most of the activities are within a 10 to 60 minute drive away.
In Modimolle/Bela Bela
Modimolle’s lively town centre is just four kilometres away from Modimolle Funky Stay Backpackers. The town offers various attractions including the Modi Mall, restaurants, tea gardens and shops.
- Visit historical Sites in Modimolle and Bela Bela. These include graves of Christina Pretorius (wife of Voortrekker Andries Pretorius), British Block House, Strydom House and the Concentration camp.
- Several Health and Beauty Spas in and around Modimolle and Bela Bela (40 kilometres away) offer wonderfully indulgent pampering spa experiences.
- The Hydro (at Forever Resorts in Bela Bela) is famous for its therapeutic hot mineral springs. It offers a variety of specialised beauty treatments including full body massages, pedicures, manicures and hydrotherapy etc.
- Located next door to the Elephant Springs Hotel in Bela Bela is Hollywood Bets; South Africa’s premier betting brand, offering the public an upmarket ‘casino inspired’ environment where punters can bet in comfort and style, where they can enjoy quality food and a cold beer, and where attention to detail and top-class service is the order of the day.
Scenic and Outdoor adventures
Apart from the activities mentioned below, outdoor and adventure enthusiasts can also enjoy cable water skiing, quad biking, zip lining, clay target shooting, 4×4 trails, boating, hot air ballooning and archery.
- Walk or cycle in the Nylsvley Nature Reserve, 30 minutes drive away and situated in Africa’s largest inland floodplain. Open all year round during the day, this 4,000 hectare protected reserve offers a unique biodiversity of plant and animal life, including roan antelope, Tsessebe buck and approximately 370 bird species. During peak floods, the flood plain becomes a critical nesting and feeding site for over 80,000 migratory birds.
- Tee off for a game of golf at Koro Creek Golf Estate, an 11-minute drive away.
- Go mountain biking on 35km of farm roads at the 3,800ha Lindani game reserve, and then enjoy your own picnic in the reserve. Rated by Tread magazine as one of its top mountain bike single tracks, it is now open for day visitors. Booking is essential.
- Learn bass fishing from an expert in a nearby dam in Bela Bela.
- Enjoy the Waterberg on horseback as the first pioneers did many years ago. Savannah Horse Trails offers horse riding trails and safaris for experienced riders on trails that combine beautiful wilderness scenery and informative guiding.
- Get tactical. Skulls Paintball, situated on the R101 five kilometers from Bela Bela, offers a fun physical activity that demands teamwork and strategy planning.
- Boost your adrenaline by abseiling down a steep rocky mountainside at Mabalingwe Nature Reserve.
- Take a trail hike on a local game farm or enjoy an outdoor bush picnic.
- Take a game viewing drive at one of the local reserves and experience unspoilt Africa in an open vehicle through grasslands, rocky ravines and beautiful mountains.
- Pack a picnic and visit Doorndraai Dam Nature Reserve at the foot of the scenic Waterberg Mountains approximately 90 minutes drive away.
- Meet and interact with orphaned and injured wild animals at Sondela Wildlife Centre, open at specific times throughout the week. Pre-booking is essential.
- Experience an eco-drive, cultural tour and braai under African stars south of Bela Bela with Kwalata Culture and Wildlife Tours. They also offer various adventure teambuilding excursions.
- Take a walking tour at Bambelela Wildlife Care Farm. During these two-hour guided wildlife walks, you’ll learn more about indigenous vervet monkeys.
- Watch crocodiles feeding at the Thaba Kwena Crocodile Farm.
- Savour an unforgettable nature experience at the De Wildt Shingwedzi Cheetah & Wildlife Breeding Project. The centre offers two-hour tours where visitors get the opportunity to see and learn more about cheetah, wild dogs, caracal, serval, African wildcat and vultures.
- Have a thrilling hands-on interaction with elephants. The Adventures with Elephants educational facility is located on a beautiful 300-hectare wildlife reserve 35 kilometres from Bela Bela off the R516. The Hensman family runs the facility, having trained more than 60 elephants since 1988. Learn more about these gentle giants from their friendly experienced handlers as you greet, touch and feed them. You can also go on a Starlight elephant-back safari or even swim with these delightful creatures that enjoy interacting with humans.
- Take a walk on the wildlife side at the Dinokeng Game Reserve, which boasts abundant bird- and wildlife including zebra, giraffe, white rhino, warthog, black-backed jackal and the elusive African rock python. You can also see numerous buck species, including kudu, blue wildebeest, eland, waterbuck, impala, blesbuck, duiker, nyala and mountain reedbuck.
- View beautiful exotic birds, one of South Africa’s largest private primate collections as well as white lions, tigers and cheetahs at Mystic Monkeys and Feathers Wildlife Park near Rust de Winter.
Tel: 014 004 0131
or 087 820 5971